Reading is planned according to the National Curriculum learning objectives and is organised in line with the school policy:
• Every child will have a guided reading session at least once a week and regular comprehension activities
• In addition to reading scheme books (Oxford Reading Tree) the children choose a daily basket book within their own reading band to take home
• Children will be able to use the library on a weekly basis to select a fiction or non fiction text
• Each child will be able to choose a story sack every half term. This can be taken home and returned a week later
• The completion of the home/school reading diary should be regular (once a week for each child) and teachers should ensure that their comments are constructive so that:
the child knows what to do next
parents have guidance on how to help their children
Each teacher carries out on-going reading assessment based on the APP assessment levels. This informs the next steps in learning for the children.
Wider reading is promoted and taught within our context led curriculum and includes shared reading as well as independent and group opportunities. It is a fundamental part of our teaching within all curriculum areas so the children are given maximum opportunities to apply their learning.
The teaching of phonics is intrinsic to the literacy development of our children. We follow the Read Write Inc. Programme of Study throughout the Foundation Stage and Key Stage 1.
The children participate in daily discrete phonics sessions where they learn new skills to develop their decoding skills as well as consolidating the earlier phases. They are then given wide opportunities across the whole curriculum to apply their learning within their own reading and writing.
Our phonics teaching is well paced and very interactive to engage the children and to improve their skills. Children who find this area of learning tricky are given extra support in small groups and within literacy lessons to develop their skills.
false,false,1© Telford and Wrekinbfc networks